- Job date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:19:21 GMT
- Expected salary: $55063 – 65525 per year
- Job title: Academic Counselor – IDEA Hope Academy
- Company: IDEA Public Schools Careers
- Location: Tampa, FL
Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this .
About Tampa Bay
IDEA Tampa Bay is actively engaging with local community members and families, recruiting students for our launching schools, developing school sites, and recruiting top-notch principals, educators, and operations team members for future schools. Cultivating education and community partnerships, champions, and advocates that will enable IDEA Tampa Bay to most effectively provide a high-quality education to students as they progress along the road to and through college is a top priority in our new region.
Tampa Bay is ranked as #37 on the U.S. News & World Report 2020-21 ‘Best Places to Live’ Rankings. With a cost of living below the national average, the rankings highlight that, “Residents of the Tampa Bay area enjoy both a laid-back beach lifestyle and the amenities of a large metropolitan area, including professional sports teams, interesting museums, and an array of entertainment and dining options. The Tampa Bay metro area is a sprawling and diverse region that encompasses three cities – Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater – each with a distinct personality. Living in the Tampa Bay area is like being on vacation all year.”
Join our cohort of passionate and diverse change makers as we help support students’ dreams to get to and through college.
Role Mission: IDEA Academic Counselors (ACs) support three main work streams: Testing, Family Engagement and Social Emotional Support. IDEA Academic Counselors are shared by the Academy (PK-2) and College Prep (6th grade) in Year 1 of a school opening. After the first year of a school’s operation, the Academic Counselor moves to one of the schools (Academy or College Prep), and a second Academic Counselor is hired for the other school (Academy or College Prep).
- Collaborate with school leaders and teachers to reach school goals
- Coordinate all standardized testing and district-wide assessments
- Empowering students to build emotional intelligence
- Identify and proactively work with truant and other at-risk students Identify students at risk of leaving IDEA and lead prevention strategies Facilitate family involvement
Accountabilities * 90% student persistence
- Lead the work on campus to engage families and students to ensure students stay at IDEA.
- Create and monitor systems to support teachers and staff, ensuring that we are doing Whatever it Takes to keep our kids.
- Implement IDEA’s Family Engagement Plan
- Utilize IDEA’s operating Recapture log
- Follow the campus communication flow chart to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Participate in and lead family engagement event planning
- Track and respond to student persistent data
- 24-hour turn around for scanning of assessments
- Campus Testing Coordinators on most campuses
- Create a campus testing plan
- Train school staff on test security and use of test systems
- Ensure all deadlines are met and all students are given the appropriate assessments
- Student Social Emotional Support
- AC’s provide solutions-focused counseling, support student culture and connect students and families to outside resources when needed.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in guidance counseling preferred
- Experience: Teaching experience preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: Valid Texas Counseling certificate preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proven track record of success
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage student behavior
- Belief in and alignment with IDEA’s mission and values is non- negotiable
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
Salaries for this role typically fall between $55,063 and $65,525, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization’s compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.