- Job date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 23:15:46 GMT
- Expected salary: $12.15 – 16.63 per hour
- Job title: Animal Control Shelter Attendant I/II
- Company: City of Abilene
- Location: Abilene, TX
OPEN UNTIL FILLED PAY RATE Depending On Experience + Qualifications
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of duties involved in the feeding, watering, and handling of animals at the animal shelter; includes cleaning and performing minor maintenance of the animal shelter and equipment.
This position exercises no supervision over lower level staff.
Examples of Duties
Feed, water, and handle animals.
Clean and perform minor repairs and maintenance of equipment and shelter facilities.
Administer vaccines, insert microchips and perform minor testing such heartworm and feline combo test.
Input data into shelter management system as well as digital images of animals for posting on public website.
Prepare and dip animals for ticks; assist in the loading of livestock animals.
Sweep, mop floors, vacuum, dust, and clean offices and other work areas; collect and remove waste; wash windows and clean restrooms.
OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES
Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Materials, methods, and practices used in cleaning operations.
Domestic Animal behaviors and Livestock.
Computer data entry operations.
Operate a variety of animal equipment and tools including control pole, lead rope, portable cage, euthanasia materials, and cleaning apparatus.
Listen, evaluate and understand the needs of customers when matching adoptable animals with the customer.
Effectively interact with animals and humans to make reclamation and adoption of animals.
Provide professional customer service.
Operate office equipment, including computer equipment.
Perform data entry into computer database and to query the database for information.
Learn occupational hazards and standard safety precautions in handling animals.
Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Prepare and maintain routine records.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally.
Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Core Values – Respect, Integrity, Service Above Self, and Excellence in All We Do.
Experience and Training Guidelines:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through:
Animal Control Shelter Attendant I
Experience in working with animals such as holding, walking, loading, and unloading from cages and/or vehicles is required.
Previous general cleaning and sterilization of a solid surface facility is preferred.
Previous dietary and vaccination requirements of companion animals is preferred.
License or Certificate:
Certification as a Euthanasia Technician for the State of Texas is required within 6 months of employment.
Animal Control Shelter Attendant II
Four (4) years of experience in working with animals such as holding, walking, and loading is required.
General Cleaning and sterilization of a solid surface facility.
Dietary and vaccination requirements of companion animals.
License or Certificate:
A certification as a Euthanasia Technician for the State of Texas is required.
A current Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator certification from the State of Texas Department of Agriculture is required.
Animal Control Shelter Attendant I / II
A High School diploma or GED is required.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, squat, crawl, twist, and climb.
With or without accommodation, ability to lift up to 100 pounds and team lift up to 200 pounds.
Exposure to cold, heat, noise, outdoors, vibration, and chemicals.
City of Abilene Core Values
- Demonstrating through our actions that we hold ourselves and our citizens in high enough regard to do what we say we will do, in the timeframe we commit to.
- Recognizing that everyone has dignity and deserves helpful, courteous, and prompt attention.
- Consistently doing what is necessary, expected, and required, and when able to do so, exceeding expectations.
- Possessing an unwavering commitment to doing the right things right.
- Consistently adhering to high professional and ethical standards.
- Keeping commitments to our citizens, co-workers, and others.
Service Above Self
- Being open and approachable to council members, citizens, and our fellow employees at all times.
- Treating our customers like we would like to be treated.
- Fostering a servant’s heart in ourselves and each other by conscientiously doing what is best for the community in all cases.
- Passionately committed to serving others.
- Helping to make our citizens’ lives better.
- Finding ways to say yes.
Excellence in All We Do
- Delivering on promises made, taking personal responsibility for achieving community-minded goals.
- Leading by example, recognizing the importance of working together to meet everyone’s needs, treating everyone with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
- Sharing resources and information freely.
- Communicating regularly and honestly with council members, citizens, and employees.
- Having a can-do attitude.