- Job date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 22:48:36 GMT
- Expected salary: $60 – 80 per day
- Job title: Camp Lead Assistant
- Company: Muddy Sneakers
- Location: Brevard, NC
Camp Muddy Sneakers is a nature-based day camp focused on getting kids outdoors to inspire curiosity, connect with nature, stay active, and cultivate a sense of stewardship. Sessions are offered for the following ages: Curious Critters (ages 4-6), Nature Explorers (ages 6-8), Trail Blazers (ages 9-11, and Outdoor Science Adventures (ages12-14).
Lead Assistant Responsibilities:
- Effectively communicate in both verbal and written communications
- Listen to and comprehend oral communication
- Read written documentation both on paper and on screen
- Be comfortable and work effectively in an outdoor or natural setting
- Work with and have patience for children for up to 8 hours a day
- Hike up to three to five (3-5) miles each day
- Lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds
- Recognize and respond positively to social cues of children and adults
- Utilize discretion when faced with sensitive issues
- Work in a team, perform interactive behaviors, and respect a chain of command
Specific duties include:
1. Education/Program Delivery:
- Support the Camp Muddy Sneakers Lead Instructor with curriculum. Adhere to the mission of the organization and respect the program’s positive reputation and brand recognition.
- Keep the safety of the campers in mind at all times. You are responsible for reviewing, understanding and adhering to the protocols and policies set forth in the Staff Manual developed by Camp Muddy Sneakers, including changes that may be made to this manual from time to time.
- Provide some naturalist and camp instruction that is fun for campers.
- Arrive to the drop off/pick up location on time with your appropriate teaching materials in order, a charged radio, and first aid kit.
- Be a positive role model to the campers and maintain a good attitude when interacting with campers and fellow instructors.
- Assist the WNC Camp director in overseeing the quality of program delivery by fellow instructors.
- Conduct a daily debrief with your fellow clearly conveying to the all pertinent information regarding your work/experience that day and filling out a daily report.
2. Resupply/Vehicle Logistics/Program Supplies:
- Consistently contribute towards maintaining, cleaning and organizing all Muddy Sneakers vehicles and instructional gear EVERY DAY.
- Report to WNC Camp Director when resupply items are needed.
3. Community Relations:
- Serve as a public face and spokesperson when necessary for the organization.
- Seek expanded opportunities for Muddy Sneakers to gain recognition and increase its Community Sponsor base through events, etc.
4. Staff Development
- Required to participate in/attend 2-3 staff trainings before summer in May or June. Muddy Sneakers will pay you $50 for each day (8 hours) of training, with this amount prorated for any partial day of training.
- Voluntary trainings will be offered through-out the summer to help with curriculum understanding and teaching.
6. Program Cancellation:
- Camp Muddy Sneakers operates rain or shine. Instructors are responsible for overseeing the safety of the campers and finding suitable locations to program when inclement weather arises. See the Staff Manual for further details regarding the Camp Muddy Sneakers Weather Policy and “Places to go in case of rain.”
- We have a minimum number of 6 campers for a session to run. If the minimum number of campers is not met 2 weeks prior to the session, the camp session will be canceled.
Camp Muddy Sneakers Instructors are not reimbursed for mileage driven to and from their homes to the drop-off/pick-up location.
8. Time Off:
You will be expected to be available for work during the sessions you have committed to working unless prior arrangements are made with a Camp Muddy Sneakers co-director. In the event that you need time off due to illness or emergency, please contact the Camp Muddy Sneakers co-director. Camp DOES NOT run during the week that the 4th of July falls.
Lead Assistant Benefits: * Ongoing mentoring and training with the Camp Director.
- The opportunity to be a part of weekly camp staff debriefs to learn and improve your teaching skills, curriculum presentation, and leadership qualities.
- Compensation: The Lead Assistant earns a daily rate on a scale from $60-$80 daily. The structure is based on work experience and time spent with the Muddy Sneakers organization.
Lead Assistant Requirements: * Degree or 1-2 years’ experience for your field of study in the sciences or education.
- The Lead Assistant has to have a love for working with children in our camp age groups – Nature Explorers (6-9); Trail Blazers (10-12).
- Computer skills in using Google Drive for program content, weekly debriefs, uploading pictures, and possible other applications.