- Job date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 00:39:06 GMT
- Expected salary: $21 – 25 per hour
- Job title: CTY Online Programs Instructor – Chinese
- Company: Johns Hopkins University
- Location: USA
Note: This position is not benefits eligible.
Note: Multiple positions available.
Note: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
General Nature or Purpose of the Job:
The instructor supports academically talented students enrolled in Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online Chinese language courses.
- Develop and teach lessons within curriculum defined by CTY.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Zoom, Moodle (the course learning management system), and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Coordinate with teaching assistant (TA) for tutorial sessions. The TA will be assigned to the course by CTY.
- Manage student behavior and discipline in the online classroom.
- Report concerns with students, courseware, systems or TA to supervisor.
- Suggest improvements to course contents.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
Degree of Independent Action Performed on the Job:
- Moderately Supervised (overall objectives are given, supervisor and incumbent collaborate, moderate level of autonomy).
Internal and External Contacts Required as Part of the Job:
- Collaborative relationships with the Program Manager, supervisors, and Online Programs administrators and staff. Frequent contact with students and parents via Zoom, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Native-like proficiency in Chinese language.
- Demonstrated ability to teach students to develop their written and conversational skills in Chinese.
- Ability to prepare lesson plans and audio-visual aids per the required curriculum.
- Experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds.
- Extensive communication and organizational proficiencies along with excellent interpersonal skills.
Minimum Required Education and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in relevant subject area or closely related field is required; Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Two years related experience is required, such as teaching or tutorial experience in Chinese language.
- Additional (graduate) education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula. JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Computer or other Special Needs for the Position:
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access; familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Zoom, Moodle, Adobe Connect and Skype.
Machines and/or Equipment Used on the Job, Include % of Time Used:
- Computer, 100%
- Broadband, 100%
- Headset with microphone, 100%
Physical Requirements for the Job:
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and must either live in the US or another area in which JHU has a business entity.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
- CTY Online Programs offer students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit:
Classified Title: CTY DE Instructor
Working Title: CTY Online Programs Instructor – Chinese
Starting Salary Range: $21.00 – $25.00 per hour
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Hours Vary
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 10000114-DE Writing Humanities Social Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu”) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law