- Job date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 03:13:44 GMT
- Expected salary: $16 – 16.5 per hour
- Job title: Day Camp Counselor – Adaptive (Virtual)
- Company: City of Charlottesville
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
Help support Parks and Recreation in their mission to enhance the quality of life for all through the stewardship of public land and parks and to provide quality recreational experiences. The City of Charlottesville is seeking candidates for the position of Day Camp Counselor – Adaptive who are highly motivated and who strive for success by demonstrating Charlottesville’s Core Values of Leadership, Trust, Creativity, Respect, and Excellence.
The hiring amount will be between $16.00 and $16.50 an hour. This is a seasonal position with no benefits.
Adaptive Recreation Day Camp Counselors provide equal opportunity for youth, teens, and young adults, ages 8-21, with disabilities to attend a camp program in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment. This position performs a variety of duties related to supervising and effectively leading virtual camp activities. Performs related duties as required. Primarily and most frequently, work is performed under direct supervision within one functional area and of a routine nature. Reports to the Adaptive Recreation Specialist or Adaptive Recreation Manager.
Position requires 20 hours weekly, June 21 – July 22, between the hours of 9:30am-2:30pm and be available for planning and training opportunities from date of hire.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Monitors participants to ensure adherence to camp standards and established safety policies, procedures, guidelines and operating requirements;
- Assists in planning, designing and implementing daily virtual programs/lesson plans; leads, teaches, demonstrates and officiates activities such as sports, games, arts and crafts, environmental education, and outdoor activities;
- Ensures awareness of safety and educational procedures;
- Assists in the management and care of facilities and equipment in all program areas;
- Communicates effectively, professionally, courteously and thoroughly with the highest regard to the customer;
- Serves as an effective group leader and acts as a positive role model to participants;
- Moderates, leads, and instructs via virtual platforms;
- Follows all health and safety regulations when working with equipment;
- Performs related duties as required.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Must be at least 18 years of age by employment start date;
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or GED;
- Minimum of two (2) months of experience working with children, young adults or adults with or without disabilities in a recreation, education or related setting leading, organizing and planning recreational activities.
- (Experience must be verifiable with reference to your Work History or Additional Information section of your application and may include volunteer or paid experience)
- Possession of CPR/AED/First Aid certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to work with children, young adults or adults with or without disabilities and one’s peers; strong group leadership skills, high energy level, adaptability and dependability; able to communicate, supervise and provide sound judgment to participants and staff; able to react quickly, calmly and appropriately in an emergency situation; ability to perform first aid; able to enter, stand and move in a pool or lake.
Physical Conditions & Work Contacts
Physical requirements of this position as outlined by the Department of Labor:
MEDIUM: work involves exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, or an amount greater than negligible and up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing for pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, post-accident and random testing.
Dependent upon assignment, a majority of time spent in this position involves outside work which may involve extreme temperatures, extreme brightness and/or blood-borne pathogens. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job opportunity is advertised with a closing date of “Continuous.” If interested in being considered, an application should be submitted as soon as possible. Applications will be evaluated on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted as soon as possible during the recruitment with candidates who are best qualified. Applications may no longer be considered once a candidate to fill the position is identified. This job announcement will close when the position(s) have been filled and may close at any time.
There are no benefits for this position, as it is a temporary, substitute, seasonal or intern position, or the work schedule is less than 20 hours per week.