- Job date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:34:58 GMT
- Expected salary: $39824 – 49766 per year
- Job title: Department Of Transportation Rest Area Attendant (40 Hour) – #210408-7405FM
- Company: State of Connecticut
- Location: Danbury, CT
The mission of the Department of Transportation ( ) is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
The Department of Transportation is seeking qualified applicants to fill vacancies for a position located at the .
This position is full-time, 40 hours per week, with the following possible work schedule:
*Various Shifts Available
Monday, 12midnight – 8am
Tuesday, 12midnight – 8am
Wednesday,12midnight – 8am
Thursday, 12midnight – 8am
Friday, 12midnight – 8am
You will have the opportunity to:
- Assist the traveling public, service people and vendors;
- Oversee daily routine maintenance activities at the rest area, such as sweeping/mopping floors, washing windows, cleaning bathrooms, trash removal, picking litter, cleaning the canine area, mowing, tree trimming, brush cutting,
- Oversee maintenance of the parking areas and walkways, snow and ice removal from pedestrian areas,
- Alert and send notification of the supervisor/state police in the event of vandalism or illegal activity at the rest area location.
**A valid driver’s license and pre-physical examination are required.
The entry level rate for this class will be ten (10%) percent below the posted starting salary. Upon completion of the initial six month working test period, the incumbent’s salary will be adjusted to the FM pay plan, Step 1 of the salary grade for this class. The posted salary range (FM) is effective 7/1/20.
We participate in a competitive that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off! We encourage a healthy to all employees.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Applicants must list their Driver’s license number, expiration date and issuing State in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of their application. A pre-physical examination is also required.
Candidates must demonstrate their experience, skills and abilities on their Master Application prior to being eligible for an interview.
Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
At any point throughout the recruitment process, applicants may be required to answer additional questions and/or submit additional documentation which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents include: cover letters, proof of licensure, performance appraisals, employment/supervisor references, etc.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. The email notification will include an expiration date by which you must submit (Finish) your responses. Please regularly check your email for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders, as emails could end up there in error.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most clearly meet the requirements of the position. Applicants who are selected for an interview are required to bring their valid driver’s license to the the interview appointment. Any applicant who fails to bring the requested documentation to the interview will be disqualified.
The candidate pool resulting from this posting may be used for future Rest Area Attendant vacancies that occur at the Department of Transportation. You will not be able to apply after the closing date of this recruitment until the recruitment pool has been exhausted and a new recruitment is posted.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact [email protected]
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation this class is accountable for performing the full range of basic tasks in the maintenance and operation of State maintained rest areas: operates and maintains small and less complex mechanical equipment or acts as a helper on larger and more complex equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Provides a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) day a week (inside) and (outside) service at each facility.
The duties will include grass cutting, trimming, shrub bed maintenance, hedge row trimming, litter pickup, refuse removal from the site, snow and ice removal; and continuous cleaning within the confines of the rest area grounds and buildings; provide a neat and clean facility at all times; assist the traveling public, service people and/or vendors as required; replace light bulbs (building), unplug toilets, and perform other minor maintenance items; report any and all surface water leaks, or plumbing malfunctions, such as flush valves, sink faucets and exposed pipe leaks to the supervisor immediately; prepare daily, weekly and monthly reports for the facilities, including water, heating fuel, propane fuel, generator and fire extinguishers; monitor and report on the status of all useable commodities needing replacement such as fuel in a timely fashion to avoid running out; perform all required seasonal work, such as keeping all walkways and stairwells and necessary pathways clean and free of snow and ice; gather and remove leaves; performs Spring cleanup including the removal of any and all debris that has fallen from trees during the Winter months, (branches, leaves, etc.); perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Some knowledge of the physical properties of standard maintenance materials; some knowledge of mechanical principles; some knowledge of the basic practices of the maintenance trade; considerable interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to use hand and power tools and make minor repairs to simpler mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment listed on the attached addendum; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
Any experience and training which would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
The preferred candidates will possess:
- Experience working mandatory overtime and weekends
- Experience and knowledge of standard maintenance materials and basic practices of the maintenance trade
- Experience working with a diverse group of individuals in a customer service setting;
- Experience using hand and power tools to make minor repairs to simpler mechanical equipment
- Experience operating specific equipment including grass trimmers, brush cutters, snow blowers, chain saws, leaf blowers and other various hand and power tools
- Experience training new employees and relief employees to perform the duties and responsibilities of this class
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain an appropriate valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license and other licenses required by governmental authorities.
2. Attendant must be able to train new employees and relief employees to perform the duties and responsibilities of this class as required.
3. Incumbent must be in uniform on site at all times during the shift.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina and physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness so as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination will be required.
Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to occasional lifting of heavy weights, and frequent lifting of moderate weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Click on a link below to apply for this position: Apply Online
The State of Connecticut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the application of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.