- Job date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 22:44:35 GMT
- Expected salary: $35000 per year
- Job title: Financial Aid Manager
- Company: Michigan Tech
- Location: Houghton, MI
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
The Financial Aid Manager position requires an individual who is dynamic, student-oriented, and a critical thinker. This position will perform a variety of financial aid duties related to University, State of Michigan, and Federal aid programs. This position will require applicants to have a genuine interest in promoting student success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Administer financial aid programs and processes, including but not limited to University, sponsored, State of Michigan, and Federal aid programs.
2. Collaborate with faculty and staff to assist students as needed.
3. Meet with and take phone calls from current and prospective students and families and assist them with understanding the financial aid process.
4. Manage the Federal Work-Study Program and serve as the primary office contact/liaison.
5. Facilitate the sponsored scholarship awarding process with the Assistant Director and directly manage the departmental sponsored awards process.
6. Support Michigan Tech’s culture of philanthropy by managing the thank you note process for sponsored scholarships.
7. Provide excellent customer service and demonstrate empathy, understanding, and care in all student and family interactions.
8. Assist with student loan and scholarship processing.
9. Ensure the security and integrity of confidential student data.
10. Present and provide coverage as needed for admissions events, local financial aid information sessions, counselor sessions, financial literacy presentations, and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) nights.
11. Counsel students who plan to participate in a co-op experience and advise on the impact on financial aid and enrollment status.
12. Perform various need analysis functions using financial aid information submitted by applicants utilizing established federal, state and University standards and guidelines to determine financial need.
13. Represent the Student Financial Services Center through assigned University committees and collaborative programs.
14. Functional supervision may be exercised over student assistants.
15. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
- Bachelors Degree
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
- Experience delivering presentations to large audiences through face-to-face and virtual formats.
- Two years of customer service experience in a fast-paced and high-demand environment.
- Skill and experience in project management and organizational effectiveness while maintaining strict attention to detail.
- Experience using Banner and Perceptive Content.
- Experience using Zoom for individual and large group virtual presentations.
- Experience using advanced features of word processing and spreadsheet/ database software.
- Experience with managing process-oriented projects.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Experience working in student financial aid at a college/university.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and written/oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Demonstrated ability to explain and convey complex information.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work assignments independently in a complex work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to use appropriate judgement when dealing with highly confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new computer skills and features.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students and staff.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Evening and weekend work will be required.
The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
The work environment is that of a typical office setting.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 3 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable. No less than $35,000.
Title of Position Supervisor
Posting Type Internal & External Posting
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures* (minimum requirements)
Advertised: 04 Aug 2020 Eastern Daylight Time