- Job date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 00:31:36 GMT
- Expected salary: $17.05 – 27.07 per hour
- Job title: Genetic Counselor Assistant
- Company: UPMC
- Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job ID: 036092064
Hours: 8:00am – 4:30pm
Shift: Day Job
Facility: University of Pittsburgh Physicians
Department: 65857 POP18 PEDS Genetics
University of Pittsburgh Physicians Division is currently hiring a regular, full-time Genetic Counselor Assistant to support the Pediatric Genetic Counseling team located at Children’s Hospital.
This position will work a full-time daylight schedule Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 4:30pm.
Perform administrative and basic duties necessary to assist genetic counselors in providing counseling and risk assessment for genetic conditions to patients and families.
- Assist in clinical investigations in genetics by performing literature searches as well recruiting patients to enroll in ongoing studies.
- Assist genetic counselors in preparing and organizing materials for genetics lectures/seminars.
- Enter patient data into computer software.
- Coordinate insurance coverage for genetic testing of patients.
- Create and upgrade patient pedigrees.
- Assist genetic counselors by communicating normal test results to patients and physicians by phone and/or in writing.
- Perform necessary administrative duties- answer phone calls, assist patients in scheduling appointments, administer patient intake forms and complete family histories.
- Responsible for alerting the genetic counselor if the mandatory reporting procedures for any incident or serious event that did affect or potentially could have affected the clinical care of any patient are necessary.
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of the genetic databases.
- Bachelors degree in genetics/genetic counseling, biology, chemistry, or other science/ health-related field required.
- Experience in medical facility, currently in or completion of genetics rotations clinical program preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products required.
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills in order to interact with patients and families.
- Must also possess strong organization and multi-tasking skills.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran Salary Range: $17.05 to $27.07 / hour
Union Position: No