- Job date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 03:53:19 GMT
- Expected salary: $35000 – 45000 per year
- Job title: Locate and Connect Counselor (Full-Time)
- Company: EQA Schools
- Location: New Orleans, LA
(Full Time, Transportation Required)
About the Organization
EQA serves students who have dropped out, been expelled from, or have struggled academically or behaviorally in traditional settings. There are three high school campuses, The NET: Central City which opened in 2011, The NET: Gentilly which opened in 2017, and a third high school campus, New Orleans Accelerated High School (NOAH), which opened in 2020 as a merger with ReNEW Accelerated High School. Students at the high schools earn a high school diploma and participate in internships, career counseling, and career training in various fields including construction, medical, and digital media. EQA also serves middle school students through The Bridge Middle School, a therapeutic program for 7th and 8th grade struggling students. For all settings, our goal is that our students leave school with the skills, confidence and experience necessary to succeed in the career and education path of their choice.
The Bridge Rapid Response Program?
In an effort to address the shifting city-wide needs due to COVID-19, the Bridge has developed a new program for 2020-2021 school year called “Rapid Response” to support students and families who are profoundly struggling during virtual learning and restricted capacity school models at schools across the city.
Many of our city’s school leaders have identified this as a major need based on the number of students who have “disappeared” during virtual learning, and the team at The Bridge is working to close this gap so that more of our city’s students are plugged into learning.
The Rapid Response program offers three services: helping to locate and connect young people who are not engaging in class; in-home tutoring and support for students who are struggling with virtual learning; and on-campus programming for students who need a wrap-around support environment.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
This position is a unique opportunity to work intensively with students in our city who need to re-engage with their education. You will join a dedicated and mission aligned team of professionals who believe that every student should have high quality, individualized supports.
The Locate and Connect Counselor is responsible for:
- Making calls and home visits to locate students who have not been attending
- Meeting with parents and family members to troubleshoot reasons the student is not attending and provide resources
- Connecting families with their schools
- Picking up/drop off IT, uniforms, other resources needed to get the student back in class
- Collaborating with other EQA staff, truancy, and other school and community staff to ensure families have the information and support they need to be successful
As well as providing in home services, which includes:
- Meeting with student in the student’s home to help them log on to classes and complete virtual work
- Communicating with the child’s school to get schedule, assignments, and update the school on the student’s progress
- Must possess reliable transportation, proof of insurance and a valid drivers license
- Must be able to work independently, be flexible, and be responsive to program and student needs
- Must be comfortable with online learning/google classroom/zoom and other virtual platforms
- Must be comfortable working in student’s homes as well as following COVID protocols
Experience and Mindsets Required:
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, relationship building & management skills
- 3-5 years of tutoring, teaching, and/or counseling experience required
- Learning mindset dedicated to effectively and innovatively problem solving and constantly improving
- Passion for improving educational opportunities for urban students and for being a part of a strong, mission-driven team
- Commitment to EQA’s mission, vision and growth
- Position Dates: ASAP through June, 2021 (with the potential of extension depending upon the need for services)
- Location: You have a base at the Bridge Middle School but spend the majority of your time& in student’s homes
- Schedule: 40 hours per week
- Salary: $35,000 – $45,000 (based on experience), including a phone as well as mileage reimbursement
- Reports to: CEO
Powered by JazzHR