- Job date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 03:05:25 GMT
- Expected salary: $60000 – 70000 per year
- Job title: Manager Online Learning
- Company: Arizona State University
- Location: Tempe, AZ
The Manager of Online Learning role in ASU’s Learning Enterprise will be responsible for coordinating course development, scheduling course runs, managing academic partnerships, supporting course facilitation teams, and negotiating course contracts. In this role, you will coordinate teams that develop and deliver innovative ASU courses at scale.
These courses support segments of learners seeking non-traditional educational pathways into higher education by leveraging modern pedagogical theory including self-paced learning, project-based learning, and adaptive elements.
This role will work with external partners, vendors, ASU faculty, the ASU Registrar’s Office, instructional designers, and leadership to push the boundaries of online education.
What exactly are these courses? These are courses offered at scale without the requirement of admission into ASU. These rigorous and robust university courses open the door of higher education to any learner that wishes to sign up. These courses can provide a clear pathway to ASU admission or be articulated as credit to other universities.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and – manipulating a computer mouse
- Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 20 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions
- Expected to be responsive to customers, engaged in work production, resourceful, flexible, and respectful of others
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Information Systems, or related field AND five years of related experience two (2) of which include higher education online course development and design associated with learning programs and also includes three years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Scope of Search
- Evidence of having a background designing online courses, course platform technology experience, and managing the course development process. (3 years)
- Evidence of effective editing, writing, and communication skills.
- Experience in working independently as an individual contributor capable of driving your own work product.
- Experience in managing strategic course design processes in high school or higher education and have a strong foundation in applying learning theories to the practice of online course design.
- Experience in evaluating educational technologies and implement various tools to support online learning.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to work in higher education, K-12, or government with the role of finding innovative solutions to meet learner needs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of course design and delivery with a proven record of delivering online courses.
- Evidence of a proven instructional designer who has demonstrated the ability to design, launch, and scale courses. Innovation is central to our culture. We seek designers who want to push the limits and explore new teaching modalities.
- Experience in taking responsibility for the course design and helping build the course facilitation team.
- Experience in working closely with a diverse team to achieve the course objectives.
- Evidence of having a commitment to clearly defined learning objectives mapped to course content and assessment elements is important for this role. Clearly defined learning objectives are a critical element within these scaleable courses.
- Experience with Project Based Learning (PBL) is desired for this role. The Learning Enterprise is committed to PBL and other active and applied learning frames in support of student engagement and optimal student outcomes.
- Experience working on a small results oriented team is also beneficial.
- Experience working with an enterprise Learning Management System (LMS) is required for this role.
- Experience with Open edX or Canvas is desired.
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
- Coordinate Course Development: Coordinate an interdisciplinary team to build high quality, rigorous courses. You are able to think outside the box and are open to new ways of developing scalable online education in a personalized way. You can hold the greater vision and check off the thousand things needed to develop a cutting edge course.
- Coordinate Course Delivery: Build the team processes needed to deliver courses at scale. You are an innovator who continually looks for ways to improve course engagement and student success.
- Manage Partnerships: Build strong relationships with people from various teams and backgrounds. Create a foundation of trust and rapport that will help stimulate innovative ideas and new ways of thinking about online education. You are comfortable working with vendor contracts and MOU agreements.
- Manage Academic Processes: Manage academic processes including collaborating with the ASU Registrar’s Office, ASU departments, and ASU faculty.
- Consult with Leadership: Work with Learning Enterprise leadership on course design and delivery processes. Consult on new course initiatives and provide guidance on the time and cost for implementation.
$60,000 – $70,000 per year; DOE
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Instructional Design Tech