- Job date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 06:39:51 GMT
- Expected salary: $55744 – 78580 per year
- Job title: Middle School Counselor
- Company: Beaumont Independent School District
- Location: Texas
Choose # of days worked
Provide guidance and counseling services conducive to all students achieving their individual potential academically, socially, and emotionally. Address problems which prevent or interfere with student learning.
- Master’s Degree
- Texas Counseling Certificate
- Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Three years high school teaching experience for high school position, preferred
- Three years middle school teaching experience for middle school position, preferred
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Instructional Management * Implement the school guidance and counseling program to support the district mission, goals, and plans.
- Adapt the district guidance curriculum plan to support campus needs and tailor it to campus plan, as appropriate.
- Demonstrate proficiency in counseling skills.
- Consult with teachers to make adjustments to meet the individual and learning needs of students.
School/Organizational Climate * Present a positive role model for student.
- Maintain professional relationships conductive to cooperation and teamwork.
- Work effectively with supervisors and coworkers.
- Comply with district and school policies and adhere to State Board rules.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and parents.
- Attend to referrals by teachers, administrators, and parents.
- Advocate for students.
School/Organizational Improvement * Evaluate the program systematically by assessing overall effectiveness of program in helping students attain desired outcomes.
- Use results of evaluation to reassess program goals, objectives, and strategies.
- Assist in using and interpreting test data for the improvement of instruction.
- Consult with students, teachers, and parents to meet special needs of students.
- Address and support campus goals, objectives, and improvement plans.
- Share guidance materials from professional meetings and publications.
Student Management * Help students establish goals, determine their abilities and achievement potential, focus on their strengths, and improve their weaknesses.
- Interact positively and effectively with all students.
- Provide intervention and support services through individual and small group sessions based on student’s presenting needs/concern.
- Administer (as assigned), evaluate, and interpret standardized test results for students.
- Guide individual students and groups through the development of educational and career plans.
- Counsel individual students with presenting needs/concerns.
- Initiate counseling contact upon request of student, teacher, or parent.
- Provide group counseling as appropriate.
- Make referrals and work with the referral source to meet students’ needs for follow-up activities/services.
School/Community Relations * Encourage parental involvement.
- Coordinate with school and community personnel to bring together resources for students.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with representatives of school and community resources.
- Articulate the need for and benefits of the guidance and counseling program.
- Provide information to parents and community about the educational program in general and the guidance program in particular.
Professional Growth and Development * Develop and maintain a plan for professional improvement.
- Use surveys and feedback from others to evaluate the counseling program.
- Adhere to ethical, legal, and professional standards.
- Affiliate with professional counseling associations.
- Be knowledgeable of current research and practices and integrate them into counseling activities.
Supervise clerical employee(s) and assigned counseling aides
- Maintain emotional control under stress
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours
- Light lifting, light carrying, reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, repetitive hand motions; frequent bending and stooping
- Normal office environment
- Occasional statewide and districtwide travel
The above statements are intended to describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to the job and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.
The Beaumont Independent School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, or sex in the educational programs or activities that it operates and is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Title : Middle School Counselor
Primary Location : ODOM ACADEMY
Salary Range : $55,744.00 – $78,580 / Per Year
Shift Type : Full-Time