- Job date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 06:47:02 GMT
- Expected salary: $39.2 – 53.82 per hour
- Job title: MRI Technologist
- Company: Oregon Health & Science University
- Location: Portland, OR
The Department of Diagnostic Imaging Services is committed to provide patients with the highest quality in patient care. We offer a wide spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic services in an efficient, professional, and timely manner.
Function/Duties of Position
This position functions in the role of a MRI Technologist in the Department of Diagnostic Imaging. The MRI Technologist performs MRI examinations following protocols under the direct or indirect supervision of the Clinical Supervisor, Lead Technologist, Radiologists, Residents, or Clinical Physicians.The MRI Technologist promotes OHSU’s mission statement by delivering high quality, cost effective, family-oriented service. This position helps to create a collaborative environment by integrating education, research and clinical leadership. MRI Technologists work with infant, pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
- Provides quality images, using optimal skills and knowledge of equipment.
- Performs quality diagnostic studies with accuracy and efficiency . Positions patients for MRI examinations with a high regard for their safety, care, and comfort.
- Prescreens patients and all related personnel in regards to MRI compatibility standards for safe entry into the static magnetic field. If there is any question regarding MRI compatibility, a Radiologist shall be consulted.
- Understand the differences in Implant Compatibility between field strengths. Understands MR physics with the ability to implement imaging parameters on a case by case basis. Understands normal anatomical cross-sectional images.
- Must be able to decide on the completeness and quality of the patient’s studies when working independently of a Radiologist.
- Prepares and instructs patients for diagnostic study using age appropriate communication skills.
- Optimizes each image during the examination to obtain the highest quality study with the least discomfort to the patient.
- Must be able to perform all ranges of exams after completion of technical competencies.
- Demonstrates competent knowledge and skills in the use of all MRI scanners and peripheral equipment within the MRI Department.
- Continues to stay current in regards to new MRI technology, hardware and software upgrades.
- Knowledge of compatibility and safety of equipment used for patient care inside the scan suite. (O2, monitoring, wheelchairs, stretchers and IV stands).
- Verifies complete documentation of all pertinent information to provide accurate and timely service to customers.
- Verifies and initials orders in patient chart, Responsible for correctly identify patients by complying with Imaging dept. Patient Identification Policy.
- Labels images completely with patient demographics, position or other required documentation.Follows through with all aspects of scanning duties in order to provide efficient and timely completion of examinations with correct data entry, following radiologist protocol, utilizing correct scanner protocol, begin and complete exams with correct billing and verification that images are in PACS.
3. Personal & Patient Care and Safety:
- Provides for personal and patient care and safety using professional judgment in accordance with written standards to avoid injury to self and others.
- Responsible to adhere to all established JCAHO National Patient Safety Goals, and report errors or unsafe conditions to supervisor and the OHSU Event Reporting (Patient Safety Net).
- Follows universal precautions for blood and body fluids, protecting patients and staff.
- Works in a safe manner by maintaining a clean work environment. Reports injuries to supervisor.
- Starts I.V.’s on patients and injects contrast material. Proper use of sterile technique, supplies and proper labeling technique. Uses prescribed dosage of contrast.
- Screens patients and ancillary staff for appropriate and safe access to the MRI suite safety zone.
4. Effective use of resources:
- Assists in scheduling examinations.
- Utilize the VIP patient transportation system to arrange for patient delivery, and call for lift team if assistance is needed.
- Assists with moving or transporting patients if needed.
- Participates in clinical research studies.
- Participates in teaching appropriate technical and clinical skills to radiology residents and radiologic technologists students
5. Keeps equipment and work areas neat and clean.
- Maintains adequate par levels of all supplies.
- Performs quality control on diagnostic equipment and maintains a logbook for entries as needed.
6. Professional Behavior:
- Practices professional communications, appearance, conduct, punctuality, attendance and attitude that leads to physician, patient, and co-worker respect and confidence.
- Explains the procedure to the patient to assure clear answers to their questions and concerns to allay any anxiety and assure patient confidence.
- Demonstrates flexibility with workload with a positive and supportive attitude, and handles stressful situations in ways that promote positive outcomes.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current in education (journals, books, in-services seminars, etc.) in all areas assigned.
7. Be familiar with and comply with OHSU and Diagnostic Imaging department policies and procedures.
8. Other duties as assigned
ARRT approved training program
2. Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies):
Must have and maintain knowledge in the understanding of cross-sectional anatomy. Must have the ability to make independent decisions regarding patient care and the completeness and appropriateness of exams ordered. Must have general computer skills and experience.
3. Registrations, Certifications and/or Licenses:
Must be ARRT (MR) Registered or ARMRIT (American Registry of MRI Technologist’s) registered within six months of employment. Must have a valid, approved CPR card.
4. Must be licensed with the Oregon Board of Medical Imaging (OBMI).
Code of conduct
Respect in the workplace
Applicable policies, procedures and agreements related to position, department or OHSU as a whole
6. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
Formal training program with completed range of documented or demonstrated technical competencies that include at least 6 months of full time clinical experience in MRI.
1 year of dedicated MRI technologist experience. Will consider student graduates from approved training program. Experience working in a Level I / II Trauma Center, or equivalent experience.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or [email protected]