- Job date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 03:03:46 GMT
- Expected salary: $39611 – 67060 per year
- Job title: Rehabilitation Counselor
- Company: State of North Carolina
- Location: Shelby, NC
During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position is conducted primarily through telework. Employees may be required to work remotely or onsite occasionally at the request of the hiring manager.
This Rehabilitation Counselor position will be in the Shelby Satellite office of the Forest City Unit, serves individuals with mental illness, substance use disorders, and developmental disabilities in Cleveland County. This counselor will need knowledge about Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders, and Adult Developmental Disabilities. Working as a team member with VR Staff, community partners, and individuals being served, this counselor is accountable for the design and implementation of a comprehensive plan of vocational rehabilitation services for persons with disabilities.
Job responsibilities include the following:
- Evaluating diagnostic data to determine eligibility and needed services
- Develop a written plan of services in conjunction with the customer
- Provide rehabilitation services within the context of a guidance and counseling relationship
- Provide supportive counseling
- Monitor the consumer’s progress throughout the service delivery process
- Work directly with community partners in order to enhance employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities
- Document service delivery and case progress in the case management system as required by agency policy
Selected applicant needs to have the means to travel as the job requires.
*In order to be considered for this position you must attach a copy of your transcripts.*
Salary Grade: GN10
Recruitment Range: $34,158- $54,486
If no suitable candidates are found at the Rehabilitation Counselor level, this position will be filled as a Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee. Salary for Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee is $34,158. Duties and responsibilities as a Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee are non-independent and are supervised by the Unit Manager or designee. If applying as Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee, candidate will be required to attain a Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling.
The DHHS Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) promotes employment and independence for persons with disabilities through customer partnership and community leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the
application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will
not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified candidates must document on the application
that they possess all of the following:
If your Master’s degree is in a field other than Rehabilitation Counseling, your application must explicitly demonstrate that you possess the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities listed below:
- In-depth knowledge of casework methodology and techniques of rehabilitation counseling
- Knowledge of federal and state laws governing the delivery of rehabilitation or independent living services
- Demonstrated ability to interpret medical and psychological data in planning and developing rehabilitative services
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with consumers, family members, and various professional and specialty services involved in the rehabilitation process
- Demonstrated ability to network and communicate effectively with area employers and/or community agencies through excellent verbal and written skills
Management prefers candidates with the following:
- Good counseling and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with adults with mental illness
- Ability to work effectively with community partners to develop employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities
Please refer to the link below for additional tips on the application process
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling from an appropriately accredited institution;
A master’s degree in a related human services field from an appropriately accredited institution;
Current certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor by the Commission of Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.
Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee: Graduation from a four-year college or university with a four-year degree in a related human service field as defined above.
Supplemental and Contact Information
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The DHHS Division of Human Resources (DHR) follows the State Human Resources Employment of Relatives Policy. Applicants who have relatives or people living in the same household, will not be considered for job vacancies in the DHR at those locations. For a complete definition of immediate family member, please see the State Human Resources Workforce Planning, Recruitment and Selection Policy, Section 2, Page 38.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account. You will either receive a call to schedule an interview or an email notifying you when the job has been filled.
For technical issues with your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at
855-524-5627. Applicants will be communicated with via email only for updates on the status of their application. If there are any questions about this posting other than your application status, please contact HR at 919-855-3517.
For permanent appointments:
State of North Carolina employees have the opportunity to participate in a compelling array of benefits to enhance their quality of life, their health, and their future. Benefits include employee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), and paid vacation, sick, and community service leave, to name a few. Paid parental leave is available for eligible employees. Some benefits require 30 + hours work/week for participation. To find out about these, and other programs, please visit our Employee Benefits page:
For temporary, contract or other supplemental staffing appointments:
**There are no paid leave, retirement or other benefits associated with these appointment types.**