- Job date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 02:14:38 GMT
- Expected salary: $25 per hour
- Job title: Upward Bound Distance Learning Teachers: Math, Science, Technology, English, World Language, History and School Counselors
- Company: Stamford Public Schools
- Location: Connecticut
- Upward Bound Distance Learning Teachers: Math, Science, Technology, English, World Language, History and School Counselors JobID: 7365
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Virtual/Stamford High School
- Date Available:
2020-2021 School Year
- Closing Date:
Upward Bound Distance Learning Teachers:
Math, Science, Technology, English, World Language, History and School Counselors
Virtual due to Distance Learning
2020-2021 School year
The Upward Bound (UB) Program is a federally funded TRIO program which prepares ninth through twelfth grade students who are low-income and/or potential first generation college students. The program seeks to promote collegiate preparedness by strengthening students’ academic and social-emotional skills necessary for success in high school, enrollment in college, and ultimately college bound. A competent UB Teacher understands growth and development, demonstrates knowledge of what is to be taught and facility in the basic skills and helps students to develop positive self-concepts. The UB Teacher stimulates the independence of each student as a learner, effectively assesses student needs and progress, and plans instruction to achieve selected objectives, including those appropriate for exceptional students. The UB Teacher accomplishes these objectives through effective communication with students, parents and colleagues, and through the use of appropriate techniques and materials in a positive climate where time, space and equipment are effectively organized for instruction. The UB Teacher will work with the Upward Bound Project Director and Academic Advisor during the summer program to support these goals.
Monday to Thursday from September– June
Teachers will instruct four classes, each 50 minutes long per day, in a topic of the teachers’ choice. Please indicate in your cover letter which areas you can teach and what term(s) you are interested in. We are especially interested in teachers of math, science, technology, English, school counselor, world language and history. We are also interested in elective options as well. If you have a unique idea that you think would be interesting and beneficial for high school students, please include a blurb about your proposed course in your cover letter. We seek teachers who can engage high school students in study and intellectual thought, and make classes on summer academic work fun. Other major responsibilities include but not limited to
- Demonstrates facility in the skills of reading, writing and mathematics.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the subject to be taught.
- Demonstrates knowledge of human growth and development as it relates to the teaching-learning process.
- Plans instruction to achieve selected objectives.
- Effectively implements instructional plans and uses appropriate instructional techniques.
- Effectively communicates with students.
- Helps students develop positive self-concepts.
- Facilitates the independence of the student as learner.
- Effectively organizes time, space, materials and equipment for instruction.
- Effectively assesses student needs and progress.
- Effectively meets the needs of exceptional students.
- Establishes a positive learning environment.
- CT Teacher’s Certification grades 7-12 in the following areas:
- Science – all areas
- Social Studies
- World Language – all areas
- School Counselor
- Three years’ experience as a teacher
- Professional knowledge and experience in developing academic preparedness, college knowledge and academic tenacity to prepare students to be college ready.
- Training in AP and ECE courses a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- (Desired) Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the target population from which project participants will be selected.
Stamford Education Association Certified Teacher: per SEA contract.
All other CT certified teachers: $25/hr.