- Job date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 00:41:04 GMT
- Expected salary: $16.39 per hour
- Job title: Youth Development Instructor: School-Age Programs
- Company: YMCA
- Location: Seattle, WA
The Y actively promotes a culture free from bias and injustice. We are dedicated to removing institutional and systemic barriers that result in oppression and racism. We will be accountable to marginalized communities for creating equitable and sustainable environments where social justice is woven into every facet of our programs, and by caring for our communities in a culturally versatile and respectful manner.
The Y remains steadfast in our commitment to providing families with school-based solutions that ensure kids have enrichment opportunities, a safe and supportive place to connect with other kids, and access to their virtual learning classrooms.
Come be a part of that commitment by joining our Y Learning, Enrichment, and Play Academy team of staff. As a Youth Development Instructor for the Y LEAP Academy you will be part of an amazing team supporting our year-round school-age youth development programs. You will provide childcare, online learning support, enrichment & recreation activities, teach teamwork and social skills, and support children as they grow and learn.
This is a part time position with shifts Monday – Friday between 7am – 6pm.
Program locations vary by branch with sites located in schools and facilities in the communities surrounding our YMCA branches.
- Plans and implements culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate activities within the curriculum in accordance with the Youth Development goals of the YMCA.
- Supervises a group of children to ensure their health and safety and to provide for a positive experience for each child.
- Leads activities that support online learning for students, supports daily online learning session for students.
- May provide guidance to staff/volunteers overseeing the activities of groups of children.
- Professionally communicates day-to-day, confidential and evaluative information with parents/guardians.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Assists in maintaining developmentally appropriate site including appearance, décor and cleanliness of site.
- May prepare and serve snacks. Cleans snack area.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Helps clean, organize and maintain program site.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Current state approved first-aid certification. *
- Current state approved community CPR certification. *
- Food worker card.*
- Completion of minimum STARS required training*
- 1-2 years’ experience with children; camps, child care, tutoring, nanny
- Ability to model and demonstrate Y values; caring, respect, responsibility and honesty
- Experience planning and implementing group activities
- Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with, diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
- Knowledge of culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
*At hire, or earliest possible training (but no later than 90 days after employment)
If position requires driving:
- Current Driver’s License with a minimum 3 years safe driving experience and a driving record which meets or exceeds YMCA standards
- Maximum one minor violation
- No speeding violation of more than 20mph over the limit
You’ll be a great fit for the Seattle Y if you:
- Thrive on working in a collaborative environment
- Are very adaptable
- Have high ownership and strong work ethic
- Are a great problem solver who can think on your feet
- Truly enjoy being of service to people
- Like being part of a team that cares about one another as people and enjoy working together
- Want to know that the work you do contributes to building a better, stronger community for all
Starting pay rate: $16.39/Hr
At the Seattle Y, we are an inclusive organization of people with a shared commitment to nurture the potential of youth, promote healthy living, and foster social responsibility. We also believe in supporting the wellbeing of our employees and offer a free Y membership as a benefit of employment.
Become a leader on our team at the YMCA of Greater Seattle where we promote a continuous learning environment and career opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Seattle is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a drug & alcohol-free workplace; all job offers are contingent on results of a background check and drug screening, including screening for marijuana.
Building a community where all people, especially the young, are encouraged to develop their fullest potential in spirit, mind, and body.
- Passion for Excellence
child care, childcare, educator, after school, para-educator, substitute teacher, mentor, early learning, youth development, recreation, tutor, teacher, education instructor, youth development professional, youth program leader, after school program staff, school-age youth enrichment teacher, school-age child care counselor